[Dailydrool] Holiday Dog Treat Part 2 and Doggy Dessert Chef

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Nov 15 03:58:25 PST 2015

I got this recipe from The Doggy Dessert Chef. I love her recipes as a
source of ideas. I generally don't think she bakes anything long enough to
last very long. As you see I am liberal with making changes if necessary.
If you have a clue how to bake and are comfortable changing the liquid to
dry ratio as necessary and using (I hate to say common sense because I have
to say I have about 25 years of experience having to adapt recipes) some
intuition on changing baking times, you may really enjoy her recipes. The
web address is http://doggy dessertchef.com

I am actually signed up for her newsletter. When I see a recipe I like, I
pring it out and put it in a notebook I have for dog recipes. She does a
lot of chicken jerky recipes and I never do those because I have 2 dogs
allergic to chicken. She has done some yummy frozen treats as well.She is
also on facebook.

Generally, I find that her recipes are too sticky to actually cut out when
using alternative flours. Although she is good about making recipes with
alternate flpours as well if you aren't comfortable making these changes
yourself. I hate cutting out cookies as well. To me it just takes up too
much of my time. So, I like to roll them out in a tray lined with parchment
paper and I put more parchment paper or waxed paper on top and cut with a
pizza cutter into my desired size. Yes, I am guilty of making them rather
small. When she does drop cookies, I drop them out on the cookie sheet.
Then I cook them for half the suggested time and check them. I like to take
a flat bottomed glass and flatten them so I can get them to bake and dry
out better. I very often use her cooking directions, then I lower the temp
on the over (you can leave the sheets in there) and I bake at 250 degrees
for 40-60 minutes. I like a small bag of cookies to be able to sit out
until it is gone without molding.

She seldom uses eggs. I really like that because we seldom have eggs in the
house. Bugsey and I are allergic. If you see a recipe that calls for eggs,
you can always use egg replacer, but it has potato in it and it is kindof
pricey. The box lasts forever, but most people won't want to pay the
initial price. I have two allergi to potato (and very allergic at that) so
we don't use replacer in their treats. I either use a 1/2 cup of pumpkin,
smashed bananas or unsweetened applesauce. Pear sauce is fantastic, but if
you aren't making it from your pear trees I don't know where to get it. It
might be available as a baby food. Anyway if the recipe calls for one of
those, I just use more for the eggs. If not, I try to think about which
flavor would be complimentary. I always use fake milk for milk. It can be
rice, coconut, almond or soy.To be honest, most of the time it can be
water, it is just like your morning oatmeal, a little more bland with
water. You could use beef or chicken stock if it is a meat based recipe. I
seldom to meat based cookies because one can't eat red meat and the other
two can't do chicken. Although I have seen some yummy tuna recipes out
there. You will have to keep those refrigerated, and your huse will smell
like tuna casserole when you make them. Not a problem if you like the
smell, but if you don't...

That is it for dog treat making treats for today. Please feel free to ask
questions.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin at gmail.com

There you have it. Hope this helps.