[Dailydrool] Spa Day and Anal Glands

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Nov 24 05:06:39 PST 2015

Sunday we had spa day. I learned a few things. Just before we moved a dog
threw up on the big dog bed. I thought I had gotten the foam cleaned up
pretty well. Ha! Hubby was watching football. So I put the foam on the
ground in the dog's room and laid a cover over it. The stench really
bothered me. Ugg. If it was getting to me, how bad is it for the poor dogs?
Fortunately, they make a ruck sack to fill with old clothes and towels to
stuff the covers with. I have 4 covers and no ruck sack, but the ruck sack
is the heap part. I have been painting the house. As soon as I am done, I
will be parring down the closet and I think I will have plenty of tshirts
for the bag.

All nails were clipped with no incident no thanks to Bugsey! I wish that
boy would HOLD STILL. I know I really shouldn't complain because I do get
his nails clipped by myself and without the use of a muzzle, but he
sometimes gets nicked because he wiggles.

Anal Gland report only because I tried something new. All three of my guys
have anal gland issues. Yes, I have tried pumpkin and yogurt seperately and
together. It doesn't work. Someone on either this Drool or the Facebook
Drool said they had tried everything and listed everything and nothing
worked until they used Glandex. I bought my bottles and am not being
compensated for my review. So here it is: It doesn't really help Beauford
at all. He only has one anal gland that doesn't drain and it is a size and
location of the hole issue. The Glandex doesn't change that. The stuff has
beef liver in it. Beauford and Browyn LOVE the taste. It upsets Bugsey's
stomach. I was hoping it was such a small amount, he would be okay. He
wasn't. So no report on him. Well they were full as can be and he cried and
I wanted to cry because it hurt my wrist so bad but that was because I was
2 weeks late doing this. Browyn. Well, I am thinking I am going to be
keeping the Fairy Princess on this stuff. I still have to express her anal
glands, but she used to have these crystals in it that clogged things up
worse and she would scream. They get impacted and infected very easliy. I
was really worried that I was two weeks late. They were full and needed
expressing, but they were not so big I felt like a terrible mom (like I did
with Bugsey). No crystals and not thick and resembling colgate toothpaste.
To put this in perspective, I express anal glands every 2-3 weeks. Yes, I
have talked to the vet about it. That is reather often, but he says I am
better off expressing them before they get out of hand. I can have all the
anal glands removed if I don't want the upkeep, but it is major surgery and
I am keeping on top of it, so he doesn't recommend it. Besides, insurance
considers impacted anal glands a grooming issue, not a medical issue, so
they don't cover it. I guess it is a good thing I am good at the deed and
it doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong. I don't like it, but cutting
nails is worse.

Meanwhile they are all scrubbed and tubbed and I am really happy with how
they smell and look for now.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess