[Dailydrool] What I have learned from bassets

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Nov 27 15:12:55 PST 2015

I'm rather late in chiming in on this, but here are the major life
lessons I've learned from each of my hounds:

That puppies are way overrated, while seniors are the sweetest hounds in
the world.

That no one will love you like a dog who has been passed around from
home to home, when you say, "It stops here," and adopt him.

That some people take terrible care of their wonderful dogs. Such dogs
are really fairyprincesses in disguise.

That sticking with a dog who is hurting brings the greatest joy.

That some people lie like rugs about the dogs they turn in. They never
discover the joy of a dog who can't help having health issues. When they
get old, those folks will deserve being deserted by the people who
should care for them (though I find it in my heart not to wish that on
them, as they did their dog).

That blind dogs will amaze you (many thanks for that truth from the
Yahoo blinddogs group) and that the people who give up on blind dogs get
the short end of the stick--and we got the very long end.

That fearful hounds have lots of love to give and need only patience to
bring it out.

I also have learned that no one dies from cleaning up dog pee and that
bassets are the best dogs in the world, even if they do rule your life.

Thanks for these truths go to Lady Jane, Belvedere, Thefairyprincess
Alexis Grace, Abner Ahrooo, Holly da Dolly, C. K. Dexter Haven, and
Horton Theveryfearful. Without you all, I would never have known any of
it. My life is much richer for having learned this wisdom.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets