[Dailydrool] Opthamologist

Dale Rutz via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Oct 20 15:07:46 PDT 2015

Greetings from the ever clueless momPerson, OK, ok, I know very little, I got my very first basset 5 years ago at the shelter and I've been learning as I go.  One of the VERY FIRST things I learned came from Pam who said, and I quote, "YOU NEED a DOGGIE EYE DOCTOR, even if your basset seems fine."  So, even though Snoopy seemed fine and his vet said he was fine I made an appointment with a doggie ophthalmologist. My husband was pretty skeptical .... it took 2 1/2 months to get an appointment, the initial evaluation was over $200, he frankly thought it was ridiculous.  And then I took Snoopy.  And 2 things happened. 1)  Snoopy Wasn't fine, he has a condition called dry eye and without the drops prescribed by the doctor he eventually would have experienced "pitting" and vision loss ... plus he was in PAIN and I didn't know.  It's totally fixable, just needs drops every day. 2)  While I was there a woman called because her dogs eye was bulging suddenly, out of nowhere ..... and the receptionist said, and I quote "oh no .... I don't have an appointment for months but he is an established patient so just drop him off in the morning and we'll put him in a kennel and someone will look at him in between patients tomorrow and figure out what to do for him." OMG.  I made LuLu an appointment seconds after foster failing and she too turned out to have a condition which is totally treatable.  Gracie is also "established" because while I pray I never need it I do NOT want to be staring at a bulging eye and not be able to get the very best care for the dog ..... EVER. In summary PAM is RIGHT ...... do what PAM said for your furkid.  PLEASE. I remain the ever clueless momPerson who herself only sees an optometrist while her dogs see the fancy doctor