[Dailydrool] Re-training Advice

Sandra Wheeler via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Oct 9 06:57:49 PDT 2015

Julie, I recently when through the same thing. I was pretty much completely incapacitated by a health issue and DH had to take over. He was under the impression the bassets waited to potty until he decided to let them out all at once. You can guess what happened; they (we have 3 bassets and 2 tall dogs) went more often in the house than out. Luckily we don't have carpet! As soon as I was able to get to the door I took over retraining. They potted in the utility room and kitchen so I kept the gate closed to that area. I than started from scratch and let them out first thing when they got up in the morning and after naps. They went out immediately after they ate and at bedtime. And they got a special treat. I was surprised it only took a couple days and they were retrained and as a bonus so was the DH! I don't think they liked not being able to go outside.  They now come to me to let me know they want out even if I'm asleep and DH is up. This might not work with your boy as he may have another agenda but I'd start by not allowing him in the utility room if possible.
Good luck!
SandyW
Bea, Dora , Val the basset girls
Daisy and Abby the tall dogs