[Dailydrool] This & that

Jane Hay via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Sep 1 06:23:46 PDT 2015

Another generous Drooler (Val Brewer) gave us her thundershirt when it
didn't work for her hound. We've been lucky cuz it helps Ginger a lot! She
tries to crawl into my skin without it and, when it's on, she will still be
anxious but content to lie down by my feet. She is terrified of thunder and
fireworks. We live close enough to the state fair grounds here to hear the
fireworks that they set off every night of the state fair and the
thundershirt has been wonderful. Our vet gave us ACE (I don't know the
whole name) and someone said that the hound will still be aware of what is
going on but just can't do anything about it so I threw it away. I wanted
her sedated and comfortable, not paralyzed and aware. We've used Composure
a couple of times. Actually I used that and the thundershirt on July 4th to
keep her semi-calm and will be doing the same next month during the NC
State Fair. I'm just very grateful that Ginger is our only Houndette who is
scared like that.

The clueless momperson (who isn't clueless at all and has my total
admiration for her bravery) suggested Triple Joint Max when my daughter was
looking for some help for her senior mastiffs and it worked great. We were
able to find it at a good price on Amazon. I tried it for my crowd (Shadow
especially needs it) and Suzy & Ginger love it. Shadow won't eat the treat
but she's the fussiest Houndette I have ever seen.

I was out of town for a week and left Toby & the Houndettes with the DH. He
is such a softie! He just couldn't bring himself to confine everyone during
the day while he was at work so he gated Toby & Suzy upstairs and Ginger
and Shadow downstairs in the family room. I wasn't worried about the
downstairs hounds but was panic stricken about the two upstairs. Suzy is
very leaky these days and Toby is still a puppy. I had nightmares of what I
would come home to. Actually they were pretty awesome right up until the
day before I got home. Marty came home to shredded paper everywhere and
Toby had uprooted and dismantled a beautiful violet that I have been so
proud of (mainly because I kill any plant that comes through my door!).
Fortunately, the shredded book wasn't too important. I was able to salvage
the root system and a couple of leaves from my violet so it may survive.
We'll see.

We are fighting an awful ear infection with Suzy. Her allergies have really
flared up this year and her ears are a mess. We've gone through two rounds
of ear drops and are on our third. She had a steroid shot and really needs
another one but it's too soon. We saw the vet again yesterday who suggested
a couple of options but, now that we know she has an occasional heart
arrhythmia, we have limited options. I warned them they'd see me again this
week if she didn't show some improvement. She's miserable right now but
it's too soon to tell if the drops are doing any good at this point.

I wish our new DD system showed every one's email address like it used to.
I have always sent private messages to our DD family when they had a loss
and I'm sorry that I can't do that any longer. Toby and the Houndettes are
slinging get well and heart healing drool to all in need along with prayers
of peace from me.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
janewhay at gmail.com