[Dailydrool] Basset with dysfunctional kidneys--info please

Bonnie Harlow via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Sep 4 09:40:19 PDT 2015

   I tried once before several months ago to find any Basset owners having
experience with kidney disease and got only one reply (it was very
helpful). I am trying again.
    My Barnabas is now 13 months old. At the age of 7 months he was to have
his blind eye removed (birth defect) and when the vet did the pre op blood
work he was in kidney failure.(he had had regular vet checks at birth, 6
weeks and as a puppy). This was a shock to all of us as he is a wild
boy....runs and plays and was eating normally etc. at that time. Since the
vet did not know how long he had been in kidney failure she could not give
us any idea of his prognosis. Of course, he was immediately put on
prescription KD food and on Renavast meds. AND also a lot of prayer from a
lot of different people including a group of precious little girls. Since
his diagnosis, Barnabas has had 3 or 4 kidney profiles and each time his
numbers have improved so we are thrilled. Barnabas is very, very active for
a Basset but he is just like his Dad, Fred, who at age 12 acts like he is 2
and is the most active Basset I have ever had or seen. You would never know
that Barnabas had any issues at all except that he is small and pretty
lean, (I think because he doesn't eat alot and it is the weird kidney food
and because he is so active). We live in Texas so he cannot be outside if
it is over 85 degrees and we have a cooling jacket for him if we need to go
out when it is too warm. (he wore this to evening outside obedience classes
in May). Of course, he is super spoiled and super adored. He is absolutely
crazy about toys of all kinds, especially if they squeak.

 ****one tip here for those with Bassets that love squeak toys....I got the
best big pink pig at Walmart...it really squeaks like a pig and is soft
plastic....Barnabas is crazy about this toy. (It is soft plastic so not for
chewers).

     Anyway, right now Barnabas is doing so well but I know his prognosis
is not great since he was born with these dysfunctional kidneys. (best news
I have heard so far is possibly 2-3 years of life) but no one knows.
    I would love to hear about any experience any of you Droolers have
dealing with kidney disease and how your Bassets did with food, meds, etc.
and of course, any recommendations on anything that will help my sweet boy
live longer.
     I so appreciate all of the great info. on the Drool.  Thanks so much,
Bonnie Harlow  and all of the Blessed Bassets
feel free to email me off the drool at blessedbassets at gmail.com