[Dailydrool] We are all in training

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Sep 5 14:03:59 PDT 2015

Since Mariah's arrival two weeks ago, we have all started training regimens.

Bill thinks he is training Mariah not to climb up on tables by giving her treats when she is on the floor and sharply saying "Get down" when he sees her climbing. Mariah is learning to wait until humans are not in the room to ascend the table and help herself to anything left on them.

> Val thinks she is training Bill not to leave dishes with leftovers on them within Mariah's reach. Her technique is gentle nagging and thank yous if he remembers, but overall she is failing.  "I'm not going to be trained by a dog!"' Exclaims Bill. "the dog is going to be trained by me!" Right.

> Mariah is training Val to pick up after Bill. Mariah has broken three dishes so far by slurping them off side tables onto the floor when noone is in the room. crash. Val does not care for the dish attrition and worries Mariah will hurt herself, so now she is on the lookout for unattended dishes.

Mariah is training Bill to keep the door to his bedroom closed. when he does not, she goes in, removes dirty shorts from his laundry basket and uses the pockets as chewies (after all, they have dog cookie crumbs in them).

Mila, watchdog par excellence, is training Mariah to run outside and look around whenever another dog in the neighborhood barks. this is what Mila does. Mila alerts us to anyone walking by, and trucks near our house. Mariah likes the racing outside with Mila part. Then Mariah looks around and says "I don't see anything. where's the squirrel?"

I would say that Mariah is fitting right in. She and Mila have gotten to be good friends and play at least twice a day. We are so glad to have them. Val of Hawaii, Mila the houseguest, Mariah the clever vlbzwick at yahoo.com