[Dailydrool] Cataract Surgery in Bassets?

Bonnie Harlow via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Sep 11 11:06:27 PDT 2015

My Wally is 9 years old and has had cataracts since he was a puppy. For the
past few years he has been kind of a "Mr. Magoo" in that he has some vision
if not in direct sunlight and runs "toward" you but doesn't totally see you
until he is closer. Not bumping into things but just not great vision.  But
in the last 3-4 months or so, his vision seemed to get worse and now he is
not seeing well at all....some bumping into stuff.
    I took him to the vet. opthal. last week to see if he was a candidate
for cataract surgery. She told me that his tear production was not up to
par so we need to do drops to try to correct this first. He is on
Tacrolimus drops and Ketorolac Tromethamine drops twice a day.  We go back
in one month to see if his tear production is improved.
    Vet. Opthal. said she cannot do cat. surgery unless his tear production
improves. If it has improved then she will do gonioscopy to check his
angles and if they are OK (not bad angles for glaucoma possibility) then
she can do the cat. surgery. She said that she has not had any Bassets have
cat. surgery because people come in with Bassets with glaucoma. She also
warned me that cat. surgery could cause glaucoma and thus the reason for
checking his angles. I only plan to have surgery on one eye.
      Have any of you had cataract surgery on your Basset?  I welcome any
info.on this situation.
Thanks so much,
Bonnie and Wally
blessedbassets at gmail.com