[Dailydrool] Just another day in Basset paradise.

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Sep 13 17:25:45 PDT 2015

Miss Mulligan has to be watched closely outside at the last walk of the
day.  Jack likes to let them lose in the yard at night.  I am not so
trusting.  She hunts.  She hunts bugs and frogs.  Big ones!  Last night we
had neighbors over for beverages on the front porch and Mulligan found up a
cicada and ran into the house with her prize.  My goodness the noises that
poor thing made.  Thankfully, our neighbors have a dog that also catches
them (and moles) so it was not a humiliating moment.

Daughter Megan came home today and we had a nice day.  While I washed
dinner dishes, she and Jack took the hounds outside for their last walk.
Mulligan was on close watch.  Guinness was not.  He wandered and found a
gigantic toad and killed it.  As I'm washing dishes, Megan screams.  "OMG
what is it???"  I run to the front hall to find Jack yelling at Guinness to
"drop it".  There were toad legs sticking out of his mouth (Guinness's not
Jack's).  Mind you, Guinness is still attached to his flexi leash - through
the dog door, having run in with his prize.  I grabbed his upper job in an
"expert move".  He finally drops it.  Jack picks up "the remains" of a
giant toad and disposes the evidence.  I untangled Guinness's leash, let
Gallagher in (he was afraid of the toad) and give Guinness a piece of
chicken jerky to distract him, because we all know, toads taste like
chicken.  Two seconds later, Mulligan comes running in and starts to beat
the crap out of Guinness.  (He smelled like toad).  He probably deserved it
because she is the "Toad hunter".  MacKenzie slept through the whole thing.
   Sigh......