[Dailydrool] Three days left

Vikki Grauf via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Sep 20 21:43:43 PDT 2015

Just a reminder that there are three days left with the Debbie's Dawg's fund raiser I am doing on Etsy. On one of the listings, I talk about how I got into doing bead jewelry, as anyone that knows me, knows there is always a story, and thought I would send it to the Drool.

Many years ago, my fudge shop was in a town called Sonora (California), though it is currently in a town called Jamestown. Around the corner from my shop was a bead shop, owned by a sweet Native American lady -  who had me at hello.
When Christmas rolled around, she gave me a beaded necklace that was the most fabulous thing I had ever seen, or touched. I could tell it was not strung on wire, or anything like it. It was very fluid - and had the most fabulous drape I had ever experienced in a piece of jewelry.
As it turned out, my friend was a very well known and respected artisan in the area. She would from time to time take a student under her wing, and agreed to take me. When January rolled around, the customers all go on diets, and are broke, of course both are my fault. By February the diets are given up on, and they come back. So during this time, I put up a sign at my shop "at the bead shop, call if you want me" along with my cell phone number. Not many calls came, hahaha.... but I learned the basics of  working with milled sinew in that amount of time. And that's what these pieces are stung on, and are always done with a beading needle. In an effort to pay it forward, I have also taught students at my shop, but videos are now on Your Tube - complements of one of my students.
Ok, so back to this necklace.....again, over 27 inches long and 9 strandsdone on a base of black, as I like black - the most mysterious of all the colorsand on the black is more black, with onyx and obsidian stones, black pearls, some hand made three sided mother of pearl beads, and some beads that have different mother of pearl chips in a resin base, dark blue and teal green glass beads, lighter teal beads, Czech beads with A/B, black seed beads, some with A/B some without. The clasp is a vintage mother of pearl button, working on a button is the way I was taught to work, even though I like to use all different kinds of clasps.All strung on teal green sinew, which I special order from a Native American crafts web site..........whew.... I'm sure I've forgotten something.... lets just say if this necklace doesn't have you at hello, send it back to me.

And, for the Debbie's Dawg's event, I am also including the fudge, and three pieces of fine jewelry. A  blue topaz ring, a blue topaz and diamond pendant, and a blue sapphire and diamond heart pendant, all in 14 karat gold, and is marked as such.
 Debbie's Dawg's will be receiving 20% of the selling price. It's an annual thing I like to do. Hugs Vikki