[Dailydrool] Update on Bugsey

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Sep 25 05:15:58 PDT 2015

Well, Bugsey is still driving me nuts with his allergies. He was at the vet
on Wednesday and he still has a very low grade yeast infection in both
ears. Plus he is regurgitating again. I don't know how much. Beauford
senses that I am not happy when this happens even though I don't say a
word. So, he is now cleaning up the messes for me. So, I only know the boy
is regurgitating because I smellit on his breath. You know how it is when
you have a basset with the heavy ears and flews. It gets on them and you
smell it. I am going through a lot of baby wipes.

I really feel bad for the vet, Bugsey, and me. The poor vet was so
frustrated. The medicine we KNOW works great on Bugsey is still on
backorder.So here is the new plan: I am to flush his ears really well with
my foaming ear cleaner (fortunately I have it because it is on backorder as
well). Then I am to make his food with a novel protein, novel carbohydrate
and novel veggie. I have this fantastic book that was written by a vet with
a phD in nutrition and she has made up all these different diets for all
kinds of different conditions. I found a chicken and quinoa recipe. Of
course Bugsey has had chicken, but he has never had turkey. On a rotation
diet, they make you eat chicken and turkey on different days because they
are not the same. So, that is what he is going to get for food. I lucked
out and the recipe is within 150 calories of being what Bugsey should eat
per day. That gives him a little wiggle room for some treats. I ordered
some Stella and Chewy turkey crunchers. They have turkey and turky liver. I
am going to use pumpkin as his veggie. It is not novel for him, but he has
anal gland issues and I have made pill pockets using pumpkin instead of
peanut butter. I am also going to add banana because the dogs adore pumpkin
banana treats and I will just use quinoa.

We are hoping I only have to do this until we can retest his allergies
after it freezes but we don't know. As some of you know, sometimes they end
up allergic to something that you just can't identify. I am trying to
decide if I should leave out all vitamins and suppliments for a few weeks
to see if we can get his stomach all settled and then try to add them back
one at a time. Any advise on this?

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin @gmail.com