[Dailydrool] IVDD & Supplements

Bob via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Apr 1 14:00:30 PDT 2016

While supplements may help a bad bad that has arthritis it will not help a
slipped or herniated disk and waiting the time for it to "work" will pretty
much guarantee your dog will never walk again if he goes down in the rear.

There are two things that happen the dog goes down because it hurts but
still has feelings etc and "if" you can and will pretty much sentence them
to a crate for 3-4 weeks much like us the body is amazing and can recover
from minor back problems..problem is how strick you are and "if" you can do
it..  there are no oh I will let him out for a few hours, no he is doing so
well you have to do it and stick to it even if they whine and cry etc.

Then there are the your dog has no feeling situations (usually after you
were lousy at crating them~~at least that is what happened to mine, re
injured just stretching on a bed) and that is an emergency if you want a
chance at recovery it has to be done now, but there are no guarantees you
waited to long.

Truthfully before someone has an emergency situation you need to decide in
advance what you will and won't do and what you will and won't pay for for
your dog.  That way you are not under pressure to decide, we thought we
wouldn't have yet another surgery on Bob felt that one was enough (he had
his neck disk done previously) so we were holding out for the crate rest to
work, but when it didn't and the vet said he is in bad pain surgery or let
him go we couldn't let him go.  He would have had such an easier time had
we just had the surgery in the first place.

Any dog with a long back could probably benefit from back supplements, but
when they are showing definitely IVDD symptoms sorry but IMO it is to late,
might help if they are misdiagnosed

Kathy