[Dailydrool] Please give advise, im at a loss

Vanessa Engquist via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Apr 19 14:31:55 PDT 2016

I've asked before and it went unanswered, perhaps I was overlooked since I am not a regular part of the discussion, but I really need help. Jimmy will be 13 this year, the vet says he has dementia, which is why he thinks hes always hungry. Nothing has been found in the blood work to say otherwise. I have never had problems with jimmy chewing or destroying stuff, other than the garbage if left where he can reach, but hes a dog and garbage smells yummy, so I dont hold that against him. However in the last month he has chewed through a wall, and ripped cabinet doors off the hinges for nothing, there wasn't food in either place, and im at a loss of what to do with my boy. He has never been crated so when I tried he howled until he was hoarse and dug at the crate until his nails were bloody. I cant have that happening, he is my best friend, I wont lock him in a crate where he hurts himself. He an I have been homeless together, he saw me through 3 major surgeries, broken hearts, 2 college graduations, the birth of my son, and now marriage to my best friend, I owe him the best I can give him until its his time. Please help. I read these every day, and I know you all have vast knowledge of bassets, jimmy was a gift to a friend who I found out was abusing him, so I saved him from that at 11 weeks old, I didn't know anything about bassets when I saved him, and im still learning. Thank you for your time.

Vanessa and Jimmy the hound.