[Dailydrool] Dog friendly, or not

K. Green via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Aug 11 15:15:19 PDT 2016

California in general is pretty dog friendly. I've lived in San Diego,
where as Val mentioned, we could take the dogs on the beach during evening
hours (hours changed depending on the season), and could take them on most
trails. If somewhere has specific leash rules, we tend to follow them if
other people are around, but not so much if we have the trails to
ourselves, since the hounds stay on trail and tend to keep near us.

Then we moved the SF Bay Area, where again there are dog friendly
restaurants, patios, and parks. We primarily visited the designated dog
parks in our town, because many of the other parks were actually
no-dogs-allowed, or required leashes, which we prefer not to use.

Now we live in Humboldt County, which is the far northern part of
California and dogs can go to all the parks and beaches with minimal
restrictions. We love it because there are tons of trails, parks, hikes,
beaches, etc to explore up here. There aren't as many dog-friendly
restaurants, etc., but we don't take our hounds to those places anyway
since Cowboy lacks manners. Plus in general, there are a lot less people up
here and therefore a lot less quality dining options as it is.

Hawaii definitely sounds pretty strict, but then again we live in a very
liberal state where there are loads of dogs. The only problem I've
consistently encountered was lack of dog-friendly rental homes, or homes
with restrictions on weight, breed, etc. Luckily being home owners now,
that's no longer a problem.

I also get emails from DogTrekker and TheBark, which both provide
dog-friendly stuff to do and places to visit. Check out their websites and
maybe you can find some more places that you currently are not aware of.

Drool on,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert