[Dailydrool] Yeasty, itchy hounds?

Angelika via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 15 06:25:38 PDT 2016

Yeasty, itchy hounds?? Mine are- I can smell them and they are constantly chewing and scratching. They eat grain free, they get probiotics ect. and their blankets and beds are washed often- but the recent high humidity and even rain has just put both them over the edge in the yeasty itchy department. I came across a recipe for a rinse in Whole Dog Journal.

1 gallon water
1 cup Hydrogen Peroxide
4 cups white vinegar

Use as a foot soak or a rinse after their anti fungal shampoo bath. Don't rinse, but dry dog off after as much as possible.
I did it a bit different- no bath to begin with. I took them out on the porch and ( I wear a fleece glove to wash them- really helps get the shampoo into them and not right down the drain when they have a shower). Anyway I wore the glove and just scooped the mixture and washed all their itchy parts. Armpits, ears, chins and throat. Feet and personal parts. Then I towel dried them. It is unbelievable how little itching and scratching is going on here this morning! I can still smell the yeasty ears on Peach and I plan to repeat this once a day for several days. I wanted to share as this is so easy and cheap and anyone can do it- the results are quick and effective!
There was a warning for dark coated dogs- the peroxide could potentially lighten fur and it said to eliminate it if that was a concern. I'll risk lighter spots for a non-itchy comfortable hound. :)

to fill just a dark (light breaks down peroxide. An empty peroxide bottle is perfect for this) bottle and add a sprayer- the recipe would be 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon peroxide and 1/4 cup wh. vinegar.

Angelika
angelikabrn at hotmail.com