[Dailydrool] Too Old ?

Nancy via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 15 10:11:43 PDT 2016

We're both 71, and currently have Charlie (just turned 4, weighs 72 lbs)
and Paige (just turned 3, weighs around 55). The hounds do keep us
young; people who meet us for the first time can't believe we've both
reached 70. We walk C&P twice a day, weather permitting, and we end up
going 1 - 2 miles total. That's a lot of exercise I wouldn't be doing
otherwise! Also, basset hounds are so much fun most of the time. We have
many internet and personal friends and interests we wouldn't have if it
weren't for having the bassets.

We will definitely always have a dog or two. We have always boarded our
dogs when we go away, so they're used to it and they're safe, and we
don't feel tied down.

My mother-in-law is 96 and still lives alone, and she thanks her
longevity primarily to always having a dog (and drinking Glenlivet).
Currently she has a Yorkie, but her favorite breed is German Shepherds.
She is a bit tottery on her feet, so we are glad she down-sized breeds a
few years ago. I guess that will be a consideration as we get older,
too, and become unable to lift or heiny-hoist a big basset butt. But
right now, neither of us can fathom being bassetless!

Nancy (owned by Charlie and Paige)
nancykay9 at gmail.com