[Dailydrool] This and that

Jane Hay via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Aug 17 15:04:35 PDT 2016

We're going to have basset hounds till we're in the ground. We're in our
60's now so, hopefully, that won't happen too soon! We've made arrangements
with our oldest daughter to take any of our hounds if/when we bite the dust
and she know's we'll always have at least two. We have four now but I don't
know that we'll always have that many. I just can't imagine our life
without hounds!

Marking....I have a female who marks like most male dogs do. She even lifts
her leg sometimes! Fortunately, she does it outside. I have my daughter's
dog here with us this summer who is neutered but was marking in the house.
We went back to house training 101 and, fortunately, it has finally
stopped. I guess he needed to add his scent to the many many hounds we've
had here over the years.

Toby is the only puppy we've had in over forty years and he came to us at
14 weeks old. I believe in crate training but we have used it only for
bedtime and for the couple of hours here and there when I'm not at home. My
feeling about your puppy and being upset in the crate is mainly she's used
to having mom and her brothers and sisters with her and she has never been
all by herself. We have three other hounds here so I made sure that Toby's
crate was positioned so he could see all the other hounds and know he
wasn't all by himself at bedtime and when I'm out of the house. I kind of
treated the puppy the same way I treated my children and kept him with me
all the time regardless of what I was doing. That way I could catch him
when he had to potty and he could get used to how our house runs and get
used to the noises in our house. I have never used the crate for
punishment. I wanted him to know that the crate was his safe zone so we did
everything we could to make it a pleasant place. He's two now and still has
toys in there along with a soft blanket that he can nest in. We were very
attentive at first to make sure he wouldn't chew on his blanket and only
allowed puppy chew toys that he couldn't tear apart. Personally, I think
having the other hounds here probably helped more than I realized at the
time with Toby settling in with the crate, although I know his breeder used
crates for the puppies too and I'm sure that helped. Wish I could help
more. It's too bad you didn't bring home two puppies! I think your puppy
might be completely different if she had someone else with her.

Toby & the Houndettes are sending get well and heart healing drool to all
in need.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow, Suzy & Ginger