[Dailydrool] Lynne Miller, Charlie, Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Aug 23 00:21:55 PDT 2016

Hi Lynne,
  I didn't see your email so am posting to the list. Our late Commander Bo suffered from Inflammatory Bowel Disease from about his age five until he passed away at age eleven.  His illness was well controlled on a diet of puréed boiled chicken breasts and white rice and the medications Metronidazole and Budesonide.  Budesonide (Entocort) is a medicine for humans with ulcerative colitis. IT is a steroid which only dissolves in the intestines (instead of the stomach) and because this is the case there are not the systemic effects of general steroids like Prednisone. BUdesonide  needs to be compounded down to dog size. there is a reasonably priced veterinary compounding pharmacy in New Jersey which does this and sends prescriptions by next day mail.  the name is escaping my senior brain at the moment, but I am sure you could find it on line (something like Wedgewood Pharmacy?  Not sure--it has been a few years).  I recommend this regimen. It took a while to get Bo stabilized at first, but once accomplished he flourished for another six years. BEst wishes.

Val