[Dailydrool] Howlidays and question about a fearful hound

K. Green via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Dec 29 13:45:04 PST 2016

Hey friends,

Happy Howlidays! We hope everyone had a great past week of celebrations and
that those who did the howliday card exchange are enjoying all the
beautiful cards. There are so many good ones this year! I just love seeing
all those furry faces.

We had a busy weekend, with James tending bar on Christmas eve, and then
driving 5 hours South on Christmas morning to spend the day with his family
on their ranch. Cowboy whined for 4 of the 5 hours drive, which drove me
completely mad. The following day, we packed up and drove another hour
South to see a friend and visit with my dad and sister. Rupert marked in
our friend's home, then Cowboy peed in their apartment complex elevator,
and Rupert marked again inside when we arrived at my sister's home. To say
I was annoyed/embarrassed is an understatement. These guys just know how to
push my buttons. Luckily when we headed back up North on Monday evening, it
was dark out so they both slept for the entire 5 hour drive home - their
only saving grace!

Much to our surprise, our neighbors had a new miniature pony in the front
yard when we got home and he has been such a joy to see out there each day.
Cowboy is delighted with him, and they sniff each other through the
chain-link fence that divides our front yards. Rupert is terrified of him.
I knew he was scared of horses but didn't really expect he'd have the same
fear of mini ones. It's so tiny, only about 2 inches taller than the
hounds.

So that's our recent drama - Rupert doesn't like to go in the backyard
anymore because he is scared of the cat, and now he doesn't like to go in
the front yard because of the mini pony. Any thoughts on how to help him
conquer his fear? He has improved with the cat - he no longer runs into the
back bedroom seizing in fear; however, he still freezes when he sees her
and tries to become invisible. It would be so nice if we could help him
feel comfortable around these new animals so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks and have a happy and safe New year weekend,

Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert
greenlikethecolor at gmail.com