[Dailydrool] A New Beginning

Jessica Rutan via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Dec 30 10:32:14 PST 2016

I am sitting here and wondering how to make sense of all the words
whirling around in my head. Not sure that anyone really cares, but the
31st is an end and beginning.
The picture shown on the calendar (Dec. 31) is one of Sassafras and
Harley. It is such a typical photo I would take of these two. Of my
seven bassets, these two were the most fun to photography and stage.
Now my Sassy is the center of my household (kind-of and another story
I will tell soon), and the loss of Harley is the center of the hole in
my heart. I have been struggling for almost a year without my Wiggle.
The unexpected and terrible circumstances to why he died have left me
in tears more than once over the many months of my slowly trying to
let go. My family and I have been looking for another basset to come
into our family, but it seemed to end in disappointment and hurt over
and over again. I was willing to fly to any place in the country and
pick up a dog. I would have paid in some cases three times what
someone was asking, but I was turned down five times. I went to three
breeders and that did not work out. I went to pet stores out of
desperation but couldn't bring myself to pay for the dog. I just gave
up. I was looking at other breeds, but just could not find another one
that I liked.
I am afraid to turn the page on my calendar, but even as I sit here in
tears, I know that I will, and I hope that everyone can find and see
the joy of the these two bassets that completed me like no other dogs
in my life have done. I guess the lesson is has something to do with
letting go. Sometimes that is hard when you feel so guilty and
tormented by what happened. I know that nothing was my fault, but just
like a parent always wanting to protect their children, I couldn't
from another country. Another country where I was burying mom and dad.
So, I sit here fearing tomorrow, but also longing to see that
wonderful wrinkly face of a hound that had my heart and filled my
heart and life in joy. How long should someone grieve? It is hard to
say, but my heart has been crying for a very long time. A side note is
the introduction of a small boy named Aristotle. Those of you who
received our Christmas card this year have the sneak peek of a small
boy who came into my life on Dec. 6 at about 5:30 at night.
I hope that you will enjoy the last day of the calendar knowing that
the boy pictured there was loved and loved back this family. The
memories we have of him run very deep and we talk about him almost
daily. His impact to our family runs deep. My middle son is now
attending Vet School because of how much he loved the animals (the
zoo) in this house. Harley will always hold a pinnacle place in this
house, but as in all things in life, something new comes along. I am
raising a new boy and I hold on to memories, but mostly pray that
Aristotle will allow me to let go of the grief and find the joy and
love that I miss so so much.
New beginnings. I hope that each of you on the list will find the new
beginning that you need and that 2017 will bring you amazing new
adventures.

If you find it possible, would you consider mailing me the page (Dec
31) from the calendar? I would really like to have those pictures to
make myself a special tray. Thank you in advance for the picture if
you don't want to keep it.

Jessica Rutan
jrutan at aubreydog.com
1519 E Chapman Ave #333