[Dailydrool] Hot Spots and Itchies

Michele SZ via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Feb 27 08:12:27 PST 2016

Hello Drool Family. The Hounds of Howling Hound Acres are doing well, and enjoying a bit of warmer dryer weather with walks around the farm and bouts of sunbathing in the dog yard.  As some of you may remember Colt ATB and Ruger suffered from bad skin allergies when we lived in Florida. In the late spring and summer their bellies would break out, we figured from something in the yard that grew during that time of year. Both hounds would go through a decontamination process after coming back into the house. Wiped down with cool wet cloths. Then I applied Gold Bond medicated powder to their bellies. Ruger had to wear t-shirt because he had the worst reaction. His belly looked like it was on fire and would start to welt up.  Ruger also had to take Atopica. Colt was able to get away with just taking Zyrtec. They were bathed every other week, bellies in chlorihexderm shampoo, rinsed and then all of them in oatmeal shampoo. As for hot spots we use. Dr. Naylor's BLU-KOTE. It's an antiseptic, germicidal, fungicidal spray. You can get it at most farm supply stores or online. (Tractor Supply, Rural King etc) I think that I have even seen it in the pet section of Walmart.  For us it is a necessity in our hound and cow first aid kits. We use it on hot spots, cuts, scratches or most any other nasty skin issues. We also spray it on the new born calves umbilicals to prevent infection. It will dry up a hot spot in just a couple of days. Gently shave the area, gently clean with warm water and antibacterial soap. Pat dry and spray the BLU-KOTE. Do this 2-3 times a day until healed. Warning: wear gloves, wear old clothes, spray it outside, and let it dry on the hound for a few minutes before allowing the hound back inside...this stuff will turn anything a permanent blue/purple color that it touches when wet.  I have walked around more than once for a couple of days with purple hands and I have a couple pairs of pants with purple spots on them. Hope this helps the Girls of Hawaii  and anyone else.
Hugs to all! Michele Swartz
wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Sent from my iPawPad