[Dailydrool] Important question

Richard Schmeltz via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Feb 27 13:49:42 PST 2016

My 2 cents:
Over the years, Patty and I have taken in mostly senior second chance dogs, many with health problems, who otherwise might not have known love in their moment of need at the end. As such, we have a great deal of experience in dealing with this sensitive subject, more than I can sometimes bear to think about.

Is there a 24-hour emergency vetspital in your area? If so, it would be good to develop a relationship, even if they do not serve as your primary provider of vet services. Patty and I found 1 such vetspital within reasonable driving distance when we first moved to CA 18 years ago. When 1 of our beloved friends passes in the wee hours, we call the emergency vet, let them know we are coming, and deliver the remains. They provide forms to fill out for the cremation services, which we fax or email the next day. They treat us and the remains with the utmost dignity and respect. That's all we can ask.
I do agree with the advice regarding being prepared to deal with expulsion of bodily fluids. We wrap the remains in a favorite blankie, then place in a leak-proof plastic trash bag. It is not heartless; it is simply wise to avoid making an already painful situation worse.
richard_schmeltz at sbcglobal.net