[Dailydrool] Jessica, Cushings

Ann Hefner via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jan 27 13:58:31 PST 2016

Don't panic. Cushings is not a death sentence. Some people
don't even treat their hounds if it's not too advanced.
Symptoms, are drinking a lot of water, always hungry. They
may show signs of obsessive compulsive things. One of my
obsessively licked her paws. Docs first thought it was an
allergy. I've had 4 with cushings. It is easy to treat.
10-60 mg of vetoryl a day depending on the severity. All
of mine took 60 mg, split 30 mg in the morning and 30 mg
in the evening. If symptoms don't go away in a couple of
weeks, may need a stronger dose. If hound seems lethargic
and not eating well, dose may be too high. Doc should do a
follow up test in a month to adjust meds. They say
cushings dogs are prone to bloat. It may just be because
they are starving all the time and gulp their food. Meds
can be expensive through the vet. I got ours at California
Pet Supply. That seemed to be the cheapest. Please feel
free to write if you have any more questions.
Ann
anniebh at acsol.net