[Dailydrool] The Rainbow Bridge: a tribute to Johnathan and Debbie

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jun 5 00:54:08 PDT 2016

I have been a drooler for about a decade now. Before joining the Drool I had never heard of the Rainbow Bridge, though in the past decade I have seen its legend not only on the Drool but in other places, on sympathy cards from my vet and others, and on the Internet in general.

However, the Rainbow Bridge Basset Section became a vibrantly painted tableau to me theough the fabulous imaginations and writings of three talented writers and basset lovers--the late Debbie Winchester, the late Johnathan Molyneaux, and still with us Dawn van Keuren.

Debbie, in the voice of her Elder Clara, wrote of the Bridge's "Main Street", replete with shops: Anita Woodrum's Anna's Sweet Meat Shoppe, Cookie Goldizen's Pawcasso Blossom's Art Studio and Gallery, the Bark-A-Lounger Furniture Store, the Love Shack, the theatre featuring the Hound of the Basset-villes, City Hall with its plethora of mayors and special offices for the PAcific Basset Feet, and so many other wonderful creations. And Elder Clara welcomed so many hounds through the gates, transporting them in her yellow basset buggy with the assistance of Bug.

Dawn's Forever Queen Feyfey has made visual for us all the grand basset buffet and the antics of the kitchen beagles, Bona and her cookbook, and Caruso and the telescope where new arrivals check upon their households. Plus the royal palace and court of the royals. QUeen Pawtunia continues to welcome new arrivals.

And our dear Johnathan Molyneaux added an irreplaceable touch. He detailed the celebrations and pageants at the Bridge. The holiday parades, the gala productions of musical comedies, the musical revues, the Gilbert and Sullivan operas, and the garden parties. HIs descriptions of the preparations,  including Grandpa Mitchell's supervision of the buppies, who were outfitted with wings, were a pleasure that I  truly relished.

(I also want to thank Dale Rutz for her description  of a wild party when my beloved Harley joined his brother, Admiral Bo, at the Bridge).

What, to me, has been so special about all of these writings has been knowing that my cyber friends have noticed the Bassets we've all loved together through the years-and wanted to commemmorate them (irrespective of any religious beliefs or not). I would like to say to them that I've noticed them, the creative writers as well. I have been crying  on and off all day for Johnathan and Debbie. this email is getting long. I will try my hand at another Bridge posting in a moment. Johnathan and Debbie, I miss you so much.  thank you all for sharing your love and talents with the rest of us, your basset cyber buddies. VAl of Hawaii vlbzwick at yahoo.com