[Dailydrool] Poisonous Plants

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jun 6 15:21:23 PDT 2016

We had a big scare today with Tony. He was PANTING, shaking, tremors, stiff, and pacing. He was walking sideways and looked like he was having a stroke.  I thought I'd be calling the vet for his trip to the bridge. Now, Tony is calm and feeling a lot better and I want to let everyone know what I found. We have Arboricola or Dwarf Shleffera, Umbrella Plant. They are toxic to humans and pets. The sap contains calcium oxalates. They are extremely irritating to mucous membranes in nose, mouth, eyes, throat, and digestive tract. I found a few leaves and one twig ripped off one of the shrubs in the yard. I looked it up and found it was toxic. Tony then had the pukes and it was extremely foamy. He had drank a lot of water and that helped get the crap out of his stomach. Things to do for your pets or humans is give milk, cheese, yogurt and water. Always call poison control. Tony only got a little sap and I thought it was the end.

Daria, very relieved momma to Tony, the shrub eating basset

P.S. I am a champion lurker on the drool email version. I want to express my condolences to all those that have a lost a fur baby or a human family member. Drool to all those that need it and belly rubs to all.

Sent from my iPad