[Dailydrool] Bassets

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Mar 4 18:10:03 PST 2016

Cerenia is an anti-emetic I believe that's it's classification: it settles
the gut so the dog can/ will stop vomiting. It is very effective and
normally Vets do not prescribe it for extended periods.

"Vacuuming"--sucking up everything on the rugs ina kind of frantic way--
means your dog has some kind of issue in his belly, whether he is just
nauseated or is bloating or something else entirely, it is wise to give him
some Gas-x-- two or three-- and watch carefully. If he settles down, great
but if not then get to Vet immediately, don't wait for office hours, your
dog may be bloating.

Teaching a "leave it" command is not hard and is very effective but you
have to continually re-teach and reward.  I have managed to extricate the
most disgusting things from my dogs* with a leave it command and a really
nasty glare. (I can out-glare my dogs any day of the week.) Even a Basset
will do Leave It if he thinks he's getting something better. Ok so it's a
trade. FINE IT'S BRIBE. Teach it anyway.

(* top choice: a grilled whole squirrel --bit into the electric wires
shorting them out and himelf too-- that was halfway down a Basset throat
and no longer even close to crispy)(ohhhhgakgakgakgakgak)

MomPerson to Conley, Doc and MertaLou

bgszap2 at gmail.com