[Dailydrool] Heidi's 3rd Gotcha Day

Kim Dworak via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 16 12:29:36 PDT 2016

3 years ago, we went and picked up a skinny little basset with the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen.  We had lost Gunter March 7th and Wulfgang was grieving so much we were really worried about him.  He wasn't eating much, and was very depressed.  A friend who knew we had lost Gunter saw Heidi on a local rescue's Facebook page and shared her picture with me.  I saw it, called and talked to them and made arrangements to go see her that night.  They brought her out and she ran right into my arms.  I sat down on the floor with her on my lap and we got to know each other.  Then they had a room open up and we went in there with her and got further acquainted.  The man at the rescue said that she was really fearful and mostly stayed in a corner and didn't interact much.  (they had just gotten her in from a puppy mill in Kentucky).  He was amazed that she was so comfortable with me.  She was still on a hold because she'd been spayed, so we couldn't take her home until Saturday (it was Thursday).  We put a deposit on her, filled out all the paperwork and left, she tried to follow us outside and it broke my heart.  2 days I said, 2 days and you will come home with us.  We were there when they opened Saturday and brought her home.  Brian brought Wulfie out on a leash to meet her in the front yard, he didn't bark (for him not to bark at another dog is miraculous).  He just sniffed and you could almost see a weight being lifted off him.  I had to carry her inside, she was afraid to go inside the house.  I don't think she was ever inside a house before.  She wasn't potty trained, and had hookworms and giardia.  She was terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks and men.  Brian has had to work very hard with her to overcome that.  Fast forward 3 years, she loves people, especially children.  My nieces were having tea parties at Christmas and she would go over and lay down in front of one of the places to join them every time they brought the tea things out.  She is not afraid of men anymore, and is much much better with storms and fireworks.  She is a little princess and has our hearts firmly in her little paws.  Hal just loves her and is very protective of her around other dogs.Happy Gotcha Day little girl, we are very happy to have you in our hearts and lives. Mommy will have special treats for you tonight.
Love and drool for everyone that needs itKim with Hal and Heidi (and Gunter and Wulfie atb)