[Dailydrool] Re; bassets in Australia and New Zealand

Anthony Burges via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Mar 17 14:24:18 PDT 2016

Hi Kymlynne,

Bassets are not all that common in Oz or (EnZed I think) so thankfully we haven't much need for basset rescues unlike the states. Bringing dogs into either country is quite difficult and expensive given our location and fact we are pretty disease free, even celebrities like Johnny Depp found out the law doesn't allow easy immigration for dogs!
The best I can suggest is a website www.dogzonline.com.au where many purebred breeders advertise dogs available for sale, mostly puppies but occasionally some older bassets turn up, usually retired breeding or failed show dogs many are not that old.
The basset club of Victoria has part of their website set up to rehome bassets but not sure how often it is needed. http://www.bassethounds.org.au/rescue.asp
I could lend her my Matilda, a nicer natured dog I haven't met but she could do with some training!
Hope that helps

Anthony Burges
ajburges at ozemail.com.au
Drummoyne NSW