[Dailydrool] Intimidation Tactics

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Mar 12 09:08:05 PST 2016

​Be aware. Not beware, but be aware. These sound a lot like the behaviors
we saw in our first Basset and he DID continue to upgrade his technique
since the owners proved to be less than smart in picking up on what he was
doing.
We ended up with a bully-dog who shoved us around, was unpredictable, and
who bit people. Us. Mr. Biskit mostly since after the dog went for one of
my son's friends I lost my trust completely.​ (it was completely
unprovoked. I mean 100% NOT the kid's doing.)

I am not sure what to tell you to do: Jennifer's idea of rewarding positive
behavior is excellent. I know now I would NOT do what the trainers I spoke
with at that time had us do, which probably made the dog ten times worse:
hanging him was one popular suggestion: beating him was another. These were
professional trainers we contacted. I look back and think how stupid and
ignorant we were and am embarrassed and ashamed, but there you go: everyone
has a first dog.

The miracle was that he didn't bite us more.

So watch the behavior and do take steps to end it now. Don't be eager to
back down but don't get in his face, either. Good luck. Sending Magic
Belgian Sheepdog Vibes and lots of luck.

MomPerson to Conley, Merta Lou, Doc

bgszap2 at gmail.com