[Dailydrool] Spaying & Neutering

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Nov 5 14:59:15 PDT 2016

​I am not an expert nor a Vet but in the past few years I have begun
leaning heavily--especially with Bassets with their very heavy bone--to The
Later the Better.
I like to be sure those growth plates are closed.
I like to be sure hormones have had a chance to confer maturity on my
dog--physically. (I am not sure maturity ever arrives mentally on some)
I want to know that organs have reached their optimum abilty That legs are
as long and as close to correct as they're going to be. I think it is a
disservice to the dog to spay and neuter early.

I know and understand this flies in the face of many shelters and rescues
who have learned through bitter experience not to adopt out intact animals.
I do not know what the answer for them is. I know only that for me, I
wait.  For bitches, until they have had at least one season, for males, at
least unilt the growth plates are closed.

This means you have to be ultra responsible with your bitch or dog.
Bitches in season should NEVER be off leash and / or out of sight. Brother
and sister is no guarantee of chastity. Nor is Father daughter.
Never, Ever underestimate the slutty-ness of a female in season or the
determination of an intact male. (My own females taught me this.)

MomPerson to MertaLou who is kind of spayed, kind of not, Doc and Conley.

bgszap2 at gmail.com