[Dailydrool] The power of The Drool - Guinness update.

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Oct 5 11:59:34 PDT 2016

I posted this on the FB version as well (with lovely photo of the subject).

I am so thankful for the power of "the drool". We found a few siblings and
half siblings of Guinness (including a litter mate). One such 1/2 sibling
is younger brother Angus.

Guinness (age 5) has lost 15 lbs in about 3 months. (Mind you the vet likes
the lower weight.) He started peeing constantly, not making it out the dog
door. Then he would not eat his favorite treats - nothing that was hard. He
started itching everywhere. The vet (not the regular vet, but an employee)
was looking at each of these as separate issues. They actually told us to
see a dentist to consider having all of hist teeth extracted. Fellow
droolers told me no, get bloodworm and have him checked for autoimmune
issues. Then last Thursday he woke up from a nap, yowling in pain. He was
able to get up and went outside to hide in the bushes until the pain came
back. His regular vet saw him on Friday, and X-rays revealed lots of
calcium on his spine. No tail wagging and lots of whining. He got treated
for the back issue.

Ellen Talarico Judge posted Angus's health issues this week (on the FB
edition) and Guinness has been suffering from similar symptoms. Angus is
getting tested for Addison's, which I have learned is a hereditary illness.

When we went for the follow up today - - I told our Vet that my friends on
the drool think this is not a series of unrelated issues and I mentioned
his little brother Angus. It clicked.... Addisons. So far 2 blood tests
have confirmed its possibility. Tomorrow he goes for the big blood draw.
The coincidence that 2 half siblings 3 years apart would show this the same
week is incredible.

Thank you droolers! Your advice is always helpful. We don't know final
results, but knowing this is treatable (and that missing the diagnosis is
fatal) makes it OK.

Julie Canny
julie.a.canny at gmail.com