[Dailydrool] Weird Spleen Stuff

Ellen Cole via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Oct 23 18:27:29 PDT 2016

I took GracieLou for an ultrasound on Thursday. When she went to the vet last week, sick with pancreatitis, they did blood work and X-rays, etc.  When the X-ray was subsequently read by a radiologist, a possible "mass" was discovered on/near the spleen on one of the views. It couldn't be seen on other views and he couldn't say conclusively that it was a mass. It could have been her kidney, but didn't really look like a kidney...because she had inflammation, he couldn't be sure. An ultrasound was recommended.  Even though she's 13+, and even though we would only seek palliative care if it was something worse...we felt we should do the ultrasound so we knew where we stood. We were worried!

The ultrasound was done and it was all good news. Everything looked pretty darned good for an old girl. The "mass" was the end of her spleen. Evidently GracieLou's spleen folds over on itself on one end! Just a weird anatomy thing on this particular basset hound. We've always known that basset anatomy is not necessarily textbook.

So...another example of assuming the worst and receiving good news...we are very grateful.

Ellen & GracieLou
erc2761 at gmail.com

Sent from my iPad