[Dailydrool] End of an era, more on rodent control

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Oct 26 00:04:00 PDT 2016

  This is Mila, sister to Mariah the Maraudah and Ipo Notabasset.  I came to live in this household under the previous regime of bassets: Commander Bo of the Pacific Basset Feet, and his lieutenant brother, Harley.  Although naval officers, both were peaceful sorts personally--they commanded but did no violence. When Rataliban invaded headquarters, Commander Bo used to bellow for his human slave to do something about it.  LT. Harley wagged his tail and tried to play with the invaders. I guess LT. Harley believed in something called diplomacy. Once upon a time, before my time, the two boy bassets reportedly lived peacefully with a cat and went out of their ways not to antagonize said kitty.  Both Bo and Harley have gone on to the Bridge now.  I am not a member of the PBF myself.  when I myself see a Rataliban, I look the other way and pretend I saw nothing. I guess that would make me a denialist or some word like that. I might even be a pacifist, except that I would hurt a fly--I eat them all the time.

Now I share quarters with these two new girl dogs, Mariah and Ipo, and the times they did a change. My two sisters are both stone cold killers.  No just calling in reinforcements, no diplomacy, no attempts at peaceful coexistence.  Plain murder. This week I saw Ipo snatch a low-flying bird out of the air and bite its head off.  Then today there was a very dead, mangled rat in our yard  (who had obviously not died of natural or pest control causes) and the unmistakable odor of said rodent's demise emanated from both Ipo and Mariah.  I don't know if the two worked in concert or merely shared the spoils, but it wasn't pretty.  In her life prior to joining us, Ipo was a wild boar hunting dog and bears the scary scars to prove it.  MAriah was a street waif on her own.  I think this household is now inhabited by some tough hombres. I think I would prefer a houser mouser sister like Merta Lou who merely points out to her slaves where the rodents are and leaves their dispatching to the humans. I hope these two will not decide to dispatch me! I was here first!!!  Mila, the ladylike hound of the household

Val