[Dailydrool] Apoquel experience?

Kara Carpenter via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Oct 26 05:06:39 PDT 2016

My 10 year old bassets visited a new vet yesterday (our old life-long vet sadly moved away last year).  We've battled Fitz's itchies his whole life--doing elimination diet (he eats Nature's Recipe venison), fish oil, malaseb, Dinovite, prednisone, prescription shampoos, vinegar baths, etc, etc.  The only thing that seems to really help is the prednisone but a few weeks after he finishes a course the itchies come back (and I'm wary of putting him on it long term).  So this new vet is confident Fitz has food and environmental allergies and thinks he can fix him with a combo of an anti-histamine and Apoquel.  He told me Apoquel is a newer replacement for prednisone and is easier on the kidneys but then tells me some people claim it causes cancer (?!).  Even so I still worry about long term use.  It is also pricey.  Anyone have any experience, success or otherwise, with Apoquel?
Thanks in advance!Kara, Rooney & Fitz