[Dailydrool] Dog-on-dog aggression

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Oct 26 06:36:06 PDT 2016

OK, I admit I've only experienced minimal dog-on-dog aggression but our
Abner was aggressive to me and nailed me three times.

I always had the feeling that there was a piece of the aggression puzzle
that was missing, and it was up to me to find it. I watched Abs for a
long time and never quite figured it out--it was so frustrating.
Thankfully I was the only one he aggressed with.

Eventually we discovered what caused the problem when we went to a
surgeon for cancer surgery on my boy. I started talking to the surgeon
about Abs's back surgery because surgeons need to know that a dog has
had it, otherwise they could move the dog in a way that might redamage
the site. When I mentioned aggression, this vet (who was really good,
unlike the guy who did the back surgery) explained to me that Abs might
have bones that were rubbing together and giving him pain--signs of a
botched surgery, I believe. This second surgeon suggested that we give
Abs glucosamine and chondroitin, to make the bones more slippery. We did
so, and my boy never again showed any aggression.

That's a long way to say that unidentified physical problems could be
causing the aggression. I think that Abs connected me with the painful
back surgery and took out his pain on me. He never so much as lunged at
my husband (who would not have reacted as kindly as I did, if he had).

I wonder if Ginger is somehow connecting your other dog with pain or a
bad experience that took place before you got her. Or she may now be
experiencing a new pain that she associates with a dog, perhaps because
it came at a time when a dog was near her. Have you had Ginger in for a
checkup lately? You may need to seek out different causes, now that she
is older and may have new, unidentified health issues.

Dealing with aggression is not easy. You have to be on your toes all the
time, which is very draining. I hope you can find a solution for Ginger.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets