[Dailydrool] Update on Ipo-Houdini

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Oct 30 20:13:49 PDT 2016

Ha!  I. caught Ipo  (not a basset) in the act of escaping.  I went out in the yard with Ipo and she stood there smiling at me, so I started humming to myself, turned my back on Ipo and began trimming the hibiscus; then I knelt down and began weeding the vegetable garden with my side turned to her, still humming, not looking directly at her, all the while sneaking out-of-the-corner-of-my-eye glances at Ipo, who was watching me carefully.  Time passed.  Eventually Ipo must have decided the coast was clear and tiptoed to the back corner of our back yard and pushed her head against the fence, and the chain mesh parted from the pole ever so slightly  at the bottom due to a missing fastener at the bottom. Ipo,s head and shoulders were through, and she was dangling over the five foot drop to the back yard of the house on the street below us (we live on a terraced hill with rock walls separating the levels), ready to push with her hind legs next to pop the rest of the way through the fence and fall to the yard below.  I hauled Ipo back in (and repaired the fence).

Now I know why Mariah  (the basset) didn't follow her.  Can you picture a basset hound dangling over a five foot drop as she squeezed through a hole? (And then falling on her head and not breaking her neck?). You need long legs for that maneuver.  I am sure Mariah has the courage and recklessness to try such a feat, but fortunately she also has the brains not to do it!

Val vlbzwick at yahoo.com