[Dailydrool] Nan Fetters/ WMBRI quilt raffle winner/ a long-held secret

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Oct 31 17:59:17 PDT 2016

Hi Nan,
  the quilt you won really can go on the bed. It is 100% cotton (can't recall if the batting is also 100%cotton or 80/20 cotton/poly--I have both in my cupboard).  It has been machine washed once (cold water wash, medium dry) with no ill effects. It is not a delicate creature.  And if it suffers any mishaps, I'll gladly repair it.  The technique used is something called "watercolor quilting", where many small squares of color are combined to create a larger whole which is supposed to resemble the brush strokes of an Impressionist painting.

Your quilt took a third place ribbon in our every two years island quilt show in Hawaii. winners are chosen by popular vote (one vote per attendee). About four hundred attended the quilt show.  These days when I make a quilt for a local show, if I can, I include basset hounds so I can pass the quilt along for a basset fundraiser.  If you would like the ribbon I won ( quilt shows are not lucrative here-- they usually give little fake satin ribbons, lol ), let me know and I would be happy to send it along.

GO, bassets!

And here is a long- held, never before revealed secret (true confession): it has been about ten years since I joined the Drool list.  My first love was always art.  I pursued a different career for twenty some years to support myself and family and for many years my art endeavors languished.  It was only later in life  ( about the time I joined the Drool) that I returned to art, first to painting and then to textiles and art quilting.   In the early posts of the Drool regarding artwork, I often saw references to "our own" Pam Tanzey.  Pam is a fabulous artist whose skills I will never approach.  But I thought to myself, " If I am ever referred to on the Daily Drool, with respect to artwork, as " our own Val Brewer", I will consider myself a success.  I! Of course, never confided this thought to anyone.   Twice in this past year I have seen such an accolade (once by Wendie Prince for a Sr. Houndsabound fundraiser and more recently by Chris Bly regarding your quilt). This has meant SO much to me--more than any commissions or ribbons ever have.  SO, thank you droolers,

Val  vlbzwick at yahoo.com