[Dailydrool] Pumpkin

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Sep 4 14:27:15 PDT 2016

Here in the UK we really only see pumpkins for a couple of weeks around Halloween. We (well I) never see it in a can, as we as a nation don't eat pumpkin pie (I made one once and none of the family had more than a small slice. I don't doubt I made it badly).
However, I had read the many recommendations for pumpkin as a wonder aid for bassets' business on the Drool and wished I could find some. Then Rolph started having problems pooping because the arthritis in his back made it hard for him to squat effectively. My vet suggested pumpkin. He said butternut squash was just as good and there was no reason to cook it.
Ever since then Rolph and Clara get a chunk of raw butternut squash on their evening meals. They both consider it a fantastic treat, snatch it out straight away and munch on it. And any pooping problems disappeared.
Months later I took Rolph back to the vet and he was most impressed to learn they still got squash - apparently I am his only client who followed this advice. More people should read the Drool!
Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK