[Dailydrool] Us hunting dogs

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Apr 7 00:50:20 PDT 2017

This is Mariah.  Mom wrote awhile ago about how my two sisters and I formed up as a hunting pack.  It is true--we are hunters, at least Ipo and I are hunters.  I think Mila is questionable at best.

Today, all by myself, I scored a feral chicken that was stupid enough to fly over our fence into our yard. (I mean, really, would you fly over a barrier into a yard with three dogs?) Chomp. I got it and that was that. Then Ipo the pit mix took it away from me, and do you know what she did with it?  She took the corpse right up into the house and laid it at my dad's feet, wagging her tail for approval.  Honestly, we didn't even get a good taste. Sigh. But I guess that is what trained hunting dogs do, alas.

I feel confident Ipo and I could survive in the wild for awhile at least. Ipo has pig hunting experience and I was a street girl from LA.  Neither of us start fights, but I yell at bigger dogs who come near me before I warm up to them, and Ipo never backs down or turns down a fight if challenged even if she never initiates them.  She is a kind of " don't mess with me" girl.  We are both skilled scavengers at raiding garbage cans.  Both of us are also skilled at wagging our way up to humans, grinning, saying "You know you love me, you know you do, now feed me", which is probably an even more valuable skill. We are both quite formidable that low key sort of way.

Mila, on the other hand, is totally hopeless.  She is a"good girl" who doesn't touch garbage, doesn't chase chickens, obeys commands without evaluating them first.  She is the kind of " good dog" so in demand. She wouldn't survive a week on her own.   UGh. It is a good thing she is a domestic animal in a loving home.  Not my style (and I'm still the favorite one here. He hee hee.). Mariah the Maraudah of Hawaii