[Dailydrool] Little old Cowboy

K. Green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:55:51 PST 2017

I haven't posted in awhile, beyond card exchange updates, but figured I
would share Cowboy's latest tale of woe.

He's had a little gum bubble around a molar for a couple years now and we
initially noticed it, our vet at the time said just to watch it. Well over
about the past year, the bubble became larger and was noticeably protruding
on his cheek. In August we sought an estimate from a new vet who said it'd
be $1300 to $1800 for a full dental and removal of the tooth. Of course
that was off putting and it wasn't bothering him so we started shopping
around for another vet to seek an estimate from. There are limited
veterinary options where we live now, so no action was really taken beside
searching for offices and speaking to friends.

Well leave it to a holiday weekend for things to go awry. The Friday after
Thanksgiving we returned from cutting down our Christmas tree to find
Cowboy's entire face swollen. He looks like a bull terrier. We called
around and found an ER vet willing to see him and they started him on
antibiotics and pain meds, with a follow up appt scheduled for the upcoming
Monday.

Last Monday he went in for his dental and they ended up removing the bad
tooth along with ALL of his upper molars and premolars. He is now down to
only his incisors and canines up top. Needless to say he's been spoiled
ever since with soft food, rice, hamburger, whatever he damn well wants.
He's off the pain meds now and coming back to being his rowdy, sassy self -
which I must admit that we missed.

The funny part is that the whole thing only ended up costing $800, which
was half of what it was going to cost at the other place on a non-emergency
basis.

We used to be good about brushing the dogs teeth, but it's waned as they
get older. This was our lesson. You're never too old to have your teeth
brushed.

Drool on,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert
greenlikethecolor at gmail.com