[Dailydrool] Titers & Thyroid

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:46:03 PST 2017

Disclaimer: NotaVet

This came up because I took the kids in to have their nails done and update
all shots. My Vet (one of them) now ascribes to the AAHA protocol of doing
titers rather than blindly re-vaccinating every year. This is the first
time I have done titers and we did them on Conley and Merta Lou. ML was
fine: Conley's immunity to distemper has gone south so he will need to be
re-vaccinated.

I am putting this out because a number of people think now that you give
puppy shots and you're done and this is not the case. Be aware that other
people with dogs may not be vaccinating so it behooves you to be sure your
dogs are safe. Do titers if that is what your Vet suggests and then be sure
to follow up if your dog needs re-vaccinating.

And thyroid: low thyroid is really common in older dogs so after your dog
is about 6 have his thyroid tested when he has his annual wellness check.
Low thyroid is an easy fix and affects a multitude of systems, so be aware
that it is a good idea to check it out.

Just runnin my mouth

MomPerson to Conley, Merta Lou and Doc