[Dailydrool] We Three Kings

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 24 10:36:08 PST 2017

Firstly, holiday greetings to everyone in Drool land. I wish you and your hounds a happy and healthy 2018.
For those struggling with illness and loss, we sling the best of British healing drool.
I have posted about this on Facebook, but know not everyone is  a member, so here is what's been happening in the King household recently.
Rolph continues to struggle with back issues. He is on many medications and lives in his Help em-Up Harness. However, he remains wanting short walks and enjoys his days.
Two and a half weeks ago Clara let me know, in her usual inimitable fashion that she had a UTI. It was a severe one and she was given two week's worth of antibiotics. One week later she ate her dinner as usual, ran upstairs (to avoid taking her meds) and was her normal cheeky self. Then, very suddenly she started panting like a steam train and shaking all over, clearly in pain. As I was trying to calm her down, she got out of her bed and started pacing the room. Fearing the onset of bloat I rushed her to the vet's office.
On arrival she pooped in the reception (so unlike her) and then did the same as she was led to triage, making the nurse summise it was a tummy bug. I was not convinced and neither was the vet whom I saw ten minutes later. After asking questions, watching Clara stumble round the room banging into things, and doing some tests, the vet felt it was either a mid-ear infection, or, more likely a brain tumour. We took antibiotics in the hopes of the ear problem and agreed to return three days later when decisions may have had to be made.
Wonderful Sandy Gaston saw my post on FB and phoned me. She told me it was not a brain tumour, it was vestibular disease.
She was right. After sleeping for 48 hours, Clara gradually started to get better. The first week saw slow improvement, but now, nearly two weeks on, she is much improved. She has a charming head tilt and a weak back leg .... and she is peeing in the house, but she is alive and much more like my Sweet Clara. So, that's my Christmas present this year and I couldn't ask for a better one.
And once again, thanks to the Daily Drool for supplying the support and information when needed, even if it was through Facebook.
Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK