[Dailydrool] another true Christmas eve story

Val lbrewerzwick vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 14:40:26 PST 2017

Christmas eve around 10 pm, there came a knocking on our front door. My son answered the door, and there stood a young man with a pudgy elderly min pin on  leash.  “Is this your dog? She was running loose on my street frightened and came up to me as I was walking my dog.”

We had never seen the little dog before, and it had been found in a different neighborhood several streets away from ours.  The man explained that he had asked his neighbors if anyone recognized the dog, and no one did.  So he decided to put the little dog on a loose leash and follow it wherever it wanted to go until it led him to its home. Otherwise he was a little uncertain what to do next.

The little dog had crossed two or three streets and led him up a hill, then turned down our street.  When it came to our driveway, it had turned in, walked up the driveway to our front door and sat down. Lol.

So I spoke with the finder about all the steps needed to track down the owner (list with the humane society, Craigslist, Facebook Hawaii lost and found, scan for microchip at nearest vet, put up picture poster in his neighborhood and at the neighborhood grocery, and place a big sign on his front lawn saying “found dog”. Our humane society has a very high kill rate (75%) and was also closed for Christmas so they were unavailable that day and would probably euthanize the dog due to its age anyway unless the owner showed up promptly, so theywere not much of an option even if open.  So I also promised that if the owner could not be found, the local no kill dog rescue I work with would find the little dog a home).

Reassured, the finder took the little dog home with him for the night and put the search plans in effect. The finder let me know the yard sign had worked and the owner had reclaimed the little dog the next day on Christmas morning.

What makes me smile about this story (besides the wonderful goodheartedness of the finder to be out searching for a runaway dog’s owner  Christmas eve fairly late)  was the little lost dog’s intuition that help might be available at my house.  Merry Christmas from Val, Bill, Mariah the Maraudah, Mila, and Ipo, and visiting two legger son, William