[Dailydrool] Bloat

Nancy Candray via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Feb 2 10:38:29 PST 2017

Having just lost Speedy to bloat last Friday. I know first hand how scary and fast it can be. Actually Speedy had bloated once before but I was home and knew the protocol. Gas X first and then call to vet. I have never been able to find liquid Gas X but had tablets. It is my understanding that liquid is faster to debloat (if that's a word). That one time he bloated it was right in front of me. I was able to administer the Gas X quickly and saw the difference it made before my eyes.

When Speedy bloated on Friday I was not home. I didn't know how long he had been like it. I did give Speedy the Gas X tablet and he tried to burp up but I think his stomach had already twisted at that point.

It's a terrible, terrible thing and happens fast so yes, give Gas X (simethicone) first and then call your vet or make your way to the vet if after hours or far away.

PS thank you for the condolences for Speedy. I still have days where my eyes just fill with tears but am getting better. Rambo the Shar Pei is a mess right now because his friend isn't with us. It's something I am trying to resolve and therefore I haven't had a chance for individual thank yous. But we are very grateful for the kind words.

Nancy
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com