[Dailydrool] My first basset.

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Feb 24 17:47:45 PST 2017

My first basset was named Charlie.  He was 7 years old when I adopted  him
from the Wisconsin Humane Society in Milwaukee, WI.  His owner died and  no
one in the family wanted him.  I got him in September of 2003.  I  had been
wanting a basset hound for several years.  I loved watching the TV  show
Columbo and he had one he called Dog.  In August of 2003 I attended  Basset
Buddies Rescue fundraiser and the following month I saw Charlie on the  WHS web
site, went down there with my lab mix Cheyene and as the two got along,
Charlie came home with me.  He became my heart dog.  For 7 years we  kept pee
pads around a coffee table in the living room as when we were  gone, he
would pee in the house, never did it all night, just during the day  when we
were gone.  He slept between Kathy and I at night and would take  over my side
of the bed.  When he had back problems, I would carry him up  and down the
stairs, towards the end of his life I would take him out late at  night, even
when I was recovering from hip surgery, so he could go potty and not  mess
the house.  By then he was becoming incontinent, which was hard on my  wife.
 He would get us up every morning at around 5 am, rain or shine, week  day
or week end without fail.  Then on the 27th of August, 2010, he went to  the
Bridge.  I woke up and heard some noise and saw him dragging himself  from
the den.  He had lost the use of his rear legs.  Seeing him drag  his little
body to his favorite couch and not be able to get on it just broke my
heart.  I had call my son and have him put him in the car for his final  ride to
the vet, as I was recovering from my hip replacement.  What  really makes
me feel bad is that he fought going to the Bridge, and to this  day I wonder
if I made the right decision, wondering if there was some other  course of
action I could have taken.  I still cry to this day thinking of  him and his
last day.  He raised thousands of dollars for Basset  Buddies as his legacy.
I sure miss the little guy. I always called him  "My Little Old Man".

Douglas Dropp  and Millie with
Pw, Charlie(ATB) & Pw. Bennett(ATB)