[Dailydrool] Rolph and the vet. LONG

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Feb 28 23:58:05 PST 2017

So, almost a week has passed and I still don't know what's been ailing Rolph. There are many vets at the practice I use, one of whom is the vet everybody wishes they had and if it is a planned appointment, that's who we see.However, if you go as an emergency, you see whoever is on duty and most of them are pretty good, so it's not an issue. One I don't like because he was unnecessarily rough with Clara once. Now another has joined my list of "will only see if my dog is dying and there is nobody else on duty" list.We saw this lady vet, let's call her Ann, on Friday night. She found Rolph's stomach to be very tender and due to the on-off nature of his symptoms (vomiting or squitting one day, perfectly fine the next, then ill again), she thought there was a chance we were looking at pancreatitis. She offered me the choice of an in-house blood test, which just gave a yes/no answer, or a more expensive external lab test, which would give an answer in degrees, but take four days. Both would also flag up problems with any other organs. As there was also a risk he had a partial blockage due to his habit of eating socks and plastic bags, I chose the quick test. she told me the price and said she'd phone in the morning.I waited patiently for a call the next morning. It didn't come. So I rang the practice which by then was emergencies only, to be told Ann had left for the day. Another vet, Laura, looked at the results and told me the other organs were fine, but there was no result for pancreatitis - whoever entered the results had, for whatever reason, not entered them. I made an appointment for my dog walker to take Rolph to see Laura on the Monday, when she could find the results and if he was clear, do an ultrasound and or Xray to try to see any blockage.While Rolph was there, I spoke to the vet on the phone, who told me she had taken another blood test to send to the external lab, but I would "only" be charged the same as the internal lab, which had stopped doing that particular test, hence the non result. I pointed out I had already paid for a pancreatitis test, the other results being incidental, and was not inclined to pay more. She replied that there was an unpaid charge on my account for a pancreatic test, put there by Ann.This is the second time Ann has put a charge on to my account for tests I haven't had and without telling me. I am furious. I am also furious I still don't know what's wrong with Rolph - although he has been a lot better these past few days.The practice, on the whole, is still the best in the area and I won't leave because of the one excellent and several good vets, but I feel a pretty shitty letter of complaint coming on....Drool to all who need it.
Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK