[Dailydrool] our first Basset

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Feb 27 17:20:11 PST 2017

We had never owned Bassets until our son, Aaron, rescued a sad and lonely 8 month old Basset from the backyard of his then girlfriend sixteen years ago. The poor critter was left neglected in a shed on her parents’ property.  He took the dog and promptly broke up with the girlfriend!
My husband and I were surprised to come home that afternoon to find this dirty, tick-ridden low-rider in the house, but Bobo cleaned up well. He became our snuggle-buddy and family canine clown. Soon afterward we welcomed a yellow Lab puppy into the pack. Bobo and Scout became bonded buddies from the start. We nicknamed Bobo ‘the Inhaler’ because his nose was always plastered to the ground on our walks. Scout became his Lab assistant. Bobo knew sign language because Aaron is deaf. This came in handy (oooh, bad pun) when Bobo went deaf in old age.
When Aaron went away to college, Bobo stayed with us. He was a wonderful dog. Oh, how I loved the deep ‘ahrooo’ that always preceded his dinner bowl being placed on the floor! It was fun to be owned by a Basset  We have recently become fur-parents to a Basset mix (with Australian Cattle Dog.) Now that I know my Basset 101, it is fascinating to watch the typically Basset traits emerge as she becomes more comfortable with us.
Lois Leader, Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobbie the House Elf, with Bobo and Scout watching from the Bridge.