[Dailydrool] Traveling With Dogs

Kimlynne Slagel via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jan 7 14:47:37 PST 2017

Odell and Hastings, my two hounds have traveled cross country several times
by both plane and car.  We live in Hawaii and travel to the mainland each
summer to visit family and friends.  Odell has earned frequent flyer miles
with United but that program has been discontinued.  From there we've
traveled by Prius across the country to the East Coast, to Prince Edward
Island and back to the West Coast of Canada, down south to catch a plane
out of San Francisco to return home.  We've made 6 or 7 summer road trips
always in a Prius.

While we've flown the "boys" several times including Hastings first trip
from AZ to HI when we rescued him from AZBHR, I do NOT recommend you fly
your bassets to NH.  Certain airlines (Hawaiian Airlines,  United, Alaska
Airlines) are set up to fly pets since we have such a large military
population that moves hundreds of families each year.  I'm not so sure NC
or NH will be as skilled in their airline transport of animals.  I could be
wrong but I bet they don't work with animals on a daily basis like HI
does.  I would suggest you drive to NH and mark out a route that has lots
of Inter State Rest stops.  They will be equipped with pet stations.  We
usually drive a couple of hours and take a restroom break or a meal break.
Stay away from large cities.  Find small cafes or diners that have outdoor
seating so you can take the dogs with you.  Otherwise rest stops usually
have picnic tables to eat drive through take out meals.

As for housing, I would buy the AAA "Traveling with Pets" book that they
publish annually with up dates on where to find dog friendly hotels or
campgrounds.  You can call ahead (even from the road) to book a room.  But
I don't be surprise if they have a 2 dog limit or some have weight limits.
Instead, you might want to check out KOA (Kampgrounds of America).  You
could book a cabin that will fit the whole family.  They are crude
dwellings with beds and bunkbeds but you must bring your own linen or
sleeping bags and pillows. Outdoor cooking but some offer pancake
breakfasts on weekends (during the summer).  Bathroom facilities are a
separate building but you can take the hounds in to shower too!  We've done
cabins and we've also found 5 star hotels that take dogs!  Odell has stayed
at the Fairmont in Banff, CA complete with an evening serenade from the bag
piper!  The Sheraton in Quebec has its on concierge for pets!  So the level
of comfort goes the complete gamut.  The AAA book will help you out.

Hope this is helpful.

Kimlynne Slagel
Mom to Odell and Hastings