[Dailydrool] Ace and moving and other things

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jan 7 15:51:55 PST 2017

I'm so glad Ace's tumour was nothing too worrying and that he is home
again. Poor baby. Tears came to my eyes thinking about him being dumped and
scared about that.  Of course some of them are just so horrified by vets...
Vernon Q Basset was like that. He had a bump on his paw at one point and we
had it removed since he kept knocking it -- it was nothing noteworthy --
and he was convinced that the vet was going to remove his entire paw at
least and maybe the entire dog each time we went in. When we went to get
the stitches out, all 60 some pounds of quivering basset sat on my lap --
all feet, nothing touching the bench -- a feat that I am not sure how he
managed. My heart broke for him, he was so scared.

I was concerned he might snap at the vet too and suggested a muzzle for the
stitch removal. Thomas, our vet, laughed out loud. "You think this old
fellow might bite?" he said. "hahaha." I was quite offended on Vernon Q's
behalf! He didn't, of course, bite, and he was absolutely thrilled when all
that happened was the stitch coming out. Wagged at Thomas like an old
friend after that. I have always been glad that he became ill very suddenly
and died at home without that last trip to the scary place being necessary.

No advice on moving with hounds. I moved here with four cats, one of whom
wailed continuously while travelling, one of whom wailed at every change of
condition (speeding up, slowing down, driving on the ferry, stopping,
starting again...) and one of whom was car sick. Fortunately the fourth cat
was just a cat throughout the trip! I wish you well. I think if it was me
I'd go for the motorhome option, if I wasn't horrified by the idea of
driving a motorhome anywhere near NY or DC, which I would be.

We're having cold for us weather here for weeks and everyone is grumpy.
Simba the Formosan mountain dog barked furiously at the first snowfall but
was unable to drive it off. Ah well. Paddi B Basset has learned a new
trick. She goes out the back door, trots rapidly around on the deck to the
front door and woofs to come in, and having come in, demands a treat. I
feel trained.

Hope 2017 is treating everyone well,
Mary, with Clio (the carsick cat who is the only survivor of the four who
moved here 11 years ago), Simba the Formosan Mountain Dog and of course
Paddi B Basset, the human trainer